Peruvian Purple Potato Soup
This Peruvian Potato Soup is a great hearty winter vegan recipe. It’s great with some warm bread and a nice fire!
- Olive oil: two tablespoons
- Finely chopped yellow onions: one
- Czech black peppers (thinly sliced): six
- Bay leaves: two
- Garlic: three minced cloves
- Water: four cups
- Purple potatoes: two pounds
- Salt: half a teaspoon
- Cilantro: one quarter of a cup
- Juice of half a lime
- Get a soup pot and preheat it over a medium flame. For about seven minutes sautee the bay leaves, chilies & onions.
- Add the garlic and sauté for three more minutes.
- Then add the salt, water, and potatoes. Cover everything up and bring to a boil.
- After it boils lower the heat and let it simmer for around fifteen minutes.
- Put everything in a blend and puree. Let the steam escape from time to time, so it doesn’t explode on you.
- Move the pureed soup in the pot and stir vigorously.
- Throw in salt and cilantro.
- You can grate a little beet into it for extra flavor.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and that’s it!
You can always sub in regular potatoes if you can’t find purple ones, though the flavor is slightly different.