Red Lentil Dahl
Lentils are one of our favorite ingredients and this dish makes a delicious, filing vegan meal. It is fairly easy to make and great for leftovers and freezing.
- Peanut oil: three tablespoons
- Yellow onion: one
- Grated fresh ginger: one tablespoon
- Garlic cloves, minced: four
- Dried red lentils: one cup
- Tomato paste: two tablespoons
- Vegetable broth: four or five cups
- Chopped plum tomatoes: five
- Juice of one lime
- Fresh cilantro, chopped and lightly packed: one cup
- Mustard seeds: two teaspoons
- Fenugreek seeds: one teaspoon
- Coriander seeds: one teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: one teaspoon
- Whole cloves: six
- Cardamom pods: four
- Dried red chilies: two (remove the seeds)
- Ground cinnamon: one quarter of a teaspoon
- Get a sauté pan, heat it to medium heat and toast the chili seeds for five minutes, frequently.
- Remove them from the pan and let them cool down. Then transfer them to the coffee grinder while also adding the cinnamon, dried red chili
- Get a soup pot and put in a little oil over medium heat. Add the onions and then sauté for five minutes.
- Throw in ginger and garlic and then sauté for five minutes.
- Add the salt and the spices and then sauté for five minutes.
- Add four cups of water and then add the lentils and the tomato paste.
- Bring everything to a boil and then lower the heat and let it simmer for twenty minutes.
- Add the lime juice along with the tomatoes and cilantro and if the composition is too thick, add a little water.
- Simmer until the lentils arewill be 100% tender.
Enjoy this great soup, it’s one of my favorites!